On 10/07/2014 05:41 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:
On 10/07/2014 05:21 PM, Patricia Ellis wrote:
Thank you all for your attention,

In answer to Anita, in a way my goal is to get a good mark as I have been
getting good marks so far.
Great. Thanks for getting back to us.

Out of the replies thus far Duncan seems to have the most experience
(that has been mentioned) in getting a good mark. He tends to hang out
in the #openstack-cinder channel and, lucky you, is in your timezone. I
would suggest having a follow up conversation with him to maximize your
effectiveness at getting a good mark.

I'm still interested in having that conversation with you, Adam, since I
think you have some thoughts I would like to support.
Typcially, an academic project is "here is what I did" and you take a concept on through. You need to be able to demo it, or at least have a psoter session on it.

Getting in involved in OpenStack as a coder is a great way for a new student to get hired, especially one that has shown they can get things done, but that is different from a senior project.

That said, there are things I would like to see done inside of Keystone that I would be happy to have someone Proof-of-concept and then I'd be willing to shepherd through the review process. However, the issues I know of require a decent degree of technical knowledge, and I would only aim them at someone that I thought had the right background WRT security and python, hence my initial questions.

My point is that it is less about getting something merged and more about having something that the student can present on at the end of their time.

Thanks Patricia,
Anita.

I had a project proposal of my own, a web app
for a friend of mine but my supervisor didn't think it good enough to get
me a good mark and she suggested I approach you. Final year projects don't
seem to be about showing off what we have learned over the last 3/4 years
rather to show off what we haven't learned at college. I started off my
degree from a very low foundation of knowledge about programming and found
I really liked the coding side of things so I switched to a software
development degree in second year. It is very difficult to get the balance
right when you realize how little you know about the subject, the more I
learn the bigger the field seems to be getting.
I will spend some time investigating the links you sent me.