Hi,

If option 4 is interesting, we have to remember:

1. First, in which Apache umbrella project. I don't think Felix is a good
match as we might have some overlap with existing projects (felix http,
...). Maybe Karaf ?
2. We need to transfer IP and "PMC" set and ask in the Apache project
community with a formal vote.
3. We will have to follow Apache process, especially for releases (meaning
at least 3 days vote, 3 binding votes, etc), extending Apache pom, etc.

So, IMHO, we have really two options:

1. We keep OPS4J community, do a cleanup (announcing non active projects)
2. We move active Pax projects to Apache (obviously my preference would be
Karaf).

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 1:01 PM Toni Menzel <toni.men...@rebaze.com> wrote:

> [...]
> dirty in a non-trivial java based OSS community where trust was default.
> Think about it, back then everyone could get write access to the subversion
> repo and start hacking on new or existing projects. Including admin access
> to jira and whatever else was existing back then. Pax URL, Pax Runner, Pax
> Exam, Pax Construct etc. all got initiated by individuals without asking
> for permission. I mean.. thats Names like Pax Tinybundles got to life.. but
> oh well.
>
> Now, why am I writing this: there is - at least for pax url, web and exam
> - a huge user base that seems to be quite healthy. Even if there is just
> that "ops4j" name of the github organization now, no website etc.
>
> So, question: what are the options? Let me just drop them here that come
> to my mind (ordered from easy-as-py to more complicated options):
>
>    - keep things as is, find individual sponsors like I do with the Build
>    Server (who uses that still by the way??), and JB or me (this means I'd be
>    also fine to pay for the org domain that is in active use,too btw). It
>    would be good to have two different companies or legal entities backing
>    this anyway.
>    - Modernize OPS4J a bit. Get it a landing page at least and a clear
>    who is behind all this, who pays etc. Maybe look at Github Sponsoring to
>    spread costs across user base - avoid single entity control.
>    - Maybe look into making it a proper foundation or at least an entity
>    that makes the work here eligible for future donations. I am not sure of
>    this is worth it. But i feel Open Source != Open Governance.
>    - Retire non active projects and donate active projects to apache.
>    Probably difficult because of Intellectual Property)
>
> wdyt?
> Toni
>

> *Toni Menzel | rebaze.com <https://www.rebaze.com> | growing developer
> culture*
>

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <
> jeanbaptiste.ono...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Niclas
>>
>> First of all, thanks a lot for all what you did (and still doing 😀).
>>
>> I’m ready to take the hand for the domain and finance them.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> Le mer. 19 févr. 2020 à 12:13, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> a
>> écrit :
>>
>>> Everyone,
>>> In a few months time (June), the OPS4J domain names are up for renewal.
>>> And I have been paying for those for 15 years now, and since I no longer
>>> participate in OPS4J I would like to transfer the domain names. But where
>>> to??
>>>
>>> Ideally a foundation that would be Ok to take it over, otherwise to a
>>> trusted community member.
>>>
>>> Ideas are welcome, and should be discussed. I have no opinion and will
>>> simply follow what you all can agree on.

>>> ops4j.net