On Jul 9, 2018, at 5:17 PM, Andrej Ota <and...@ota.si> wrote:
> I think that forbidding some parts with MUST would go against the original
> mandate for this draft which I understood to be documenting what's used and
> specifically not working to do a revision of protocol (which I would love to
> hide behind TLS).

  The IETF is not about rubber-stamping existing implementations or practices.

  As a case in point, in 1993, the original RADIUS implementations had
provisions for "change user password".  That was remove (in *1993*), because it
was insecure.

  I doubt very much that the security requirements have been *relaxed* in the
subsequent 25 years.

> The problem with the protocol as it's implemented today is that it's "unsafe
> at any speed". There is nothing that either servers or clients can do to
> change that on a protocol level. The only sensible normative text would be
> MUST NOT implement. This in my mind shifts the focus from implementation
> constraints to operational requirements.

  I disagree.  There are portions of the protocol which are vaguely "OK", such
as insecured names/passwords being sent in the clear over a management network.
 Ugly, but somewhat acceptable.

  There are portions of the protocol which *no one* would agree is a good idea
today.  e.g. sending secrets to a client.  That's just... bad.

> If we there isn't even one sensible implementation band aid (and I certainly
> don't see one), we can only apply deployment band aids.

  There are many sensible implementation suggestions.

> Net sum of both is that the document veered away from normative and into
> realm of "here are the facts about insecurity of the protocol, use your best
> judgement when deploying".
>
> We can certainly turn the draft back into more normative but I don't think
> that we can do anything to the protocol itself that would salvage it in any
> useful form whatsoever.

  The point (again) is that we should document the protocol, *and* recommended
best practices.

  If you don't think that the protocol is salvageable at all, then please
withdraw the draft.

  If you think we *can* document best practices, then we should do so.

  If you think documenting best practices isn't productive, then you will get
roundly trounced when all of the non-TACACS+ people read it, and go "OMFG you
can't *do* this in 2018."

  Alan DeKok.