Responding to Lisa’s question for data on other dance organizer experiences
relative to policies about masks:

See https://www.belfastflyingshoes.org for info on our programs, policies, etc.

Our series resumed dancing outdoors in July-Oct 2022. When our monthly two-part
public dance series moved indoors in November 2023, the Belfast Flying Shoes
board of directors unanimously approved a community care policy that was in
line with our local circumstances. (The BFS board makes decisions by consensus.
For the BFS Board this means coming to unanimous agreement after robust
discussion, including respectfully sharing divergent perspectives.)

The board and I (as executive director of the nonprofit) took many things into
consideration. These included, but weren't limited to: local health metrics,
the nonprofit's values, feedback from our constituents, our individual values,
and a variety of underlying philosophical questions (many of which Harris L
articulated on this list in January. I’ve copied Harris's post below.)  Our
consensus-based decision-making considered the three aspects that Harris
suggested: "We need science *and* community input *and* organizer judgment to
guide decisions."

Among other things, that BFS policy required contact info and encouraged masks,
which we offer free of charge.  The current policy no longer requires contact
info, but it’s still optional to get an update if anyone reports experiencing
illness and we still offer masks.

In Maine, policies differ. And at least one series was started because the
people who organized it wanted particular policies. I think this speaks to an
important truth in our current moment -- there's always room for other dances
that meet certain needs!

Cheers,
Chrissy Fowler
Belfast Flying Shoes (Belfast ME)
<><><><><><>
belfastflyingshoes.org<http://www.belfastflyingshoes.org> participatory dance &
music

Harris Lapiroff, from SW Organizers archive, January 2023:
I feel that we need science *and* community input to make good decisions as
organizers. I don't think either is sufficient alone. Plagiarizing a comment
from myself in a previous conversation about covid precautions that took place
on Facebook: I think people who have been following the science and even agree
on the science might make different decisions about what precautions are
valuable based on factors that science hasn't yet or may never provide clarity
on. Some of them are scientific questions and some of them are not. And some of
them are questions that can *only* be answered by our community! Questions
like:    - What is the exact nature and prevalence of long covid?    - How do
the risks of covid compare to risks we took in a prepandemic    world?    - How
does our community value risk for pleasure?    - Will things get less risky in
the future?    - How long is our community willing to wear masks while dancing?
A year?    Two years? Forever?    - Does our community care if we exclude
people who can't or won't get    vaccinated?    - Etc. I think people can agree
on the (mostly) settled science—how covid is transmitted, how well masks and
vaccines work, what the possible outcomes of a covid infection are, who is most
at risk—and still have very different answers to these questions, many of which
are pretty reasonable. We need science *and* community input *and* organizer
judgment to guide decisions. Harris