For what it's worth, I went to a dance where a caller chose role-name-light
dances, and had this interaction with my partner, a college-age dancer
who's reasonably experienced. We were just in hands four.

(Small talk ensues, then unprompted:)
Partner: "The second dance I got confused by something the caller said. I
can't remember what exactly."
(Dance had us in Long Lines, for a Larks allemande left.)
Caller: "Left hand dancer with the left hand free ... allemande left"
Partner: "That was it."
(Next move is the same role does something else, again the caller chose to
not just say "larks")

Unless one is censoring one's repertoire severely, even dances with basic
things like "one role allemandes after a long lines" which is in a
bajillion dances, can get so much more wordy. And, if the dance has a few
people need prompting mid-dance, there's no simple way to recover if you're
avoiding saying a role name.

So, I'd suggest any organizer who is considering allowing positional
calling take the time to understand the ramifications to what that actually
means.

In dance,
Julian Blechner