Hi All,

On the subject of attracting young dancers.

In Sept. 2022, we started a campus contra dance from scratch that's based
in the Honors College of the Univ. of Central Arkansas but is open to
everyone in the school.

Countervailing winds include: no prior dance community nearby;
students/univ. community who had never met contra/ECD; enthusiasm and
educational and musical skills but very little expertise among our
organizers; we're prohibited from advertising outside of our own
college/department (I believe it's off-topic to explain why); we have
little/no budget; contra dance is confused with "country dance" (e.g.,
"rodeo" or western line and square) and these have strong connotations for
many people in our region.  The dance is basically word of mouth.  Us, the
organizers, are a professor and me, her spouse (we're "old.")  As a campus
contra, the majority of dancers have been 16-22 but we've had some faculty
and staff who are all ages but rarely come and a small number of
older-than-22 invited guests from the community.

I presented about the lessons we learned from our experience at NEFFA
2023.  I hope to do a similar session again in 2024; please drop in on that
session if it happens.  Over the time of this project I've been talking to
a lot of dance organizers of all ages about the challenge of, in essence,
building a dance community, whether generally or that has a specific
demographic.

Our own case may not apply everywhere, but we prioritize fun, a relaxed
welcoming atmosphere and live, groovy music with a solid dance beat.  We
call robins/larks, starting Day 1 of our first ever dance.  We're a small
dance (12-30), but the ratio is reasonable given the size of our university
(13,000 students).  I'll underline: we seem to be slowly but steadily
growing.  Students will sometimes bring little sisters/brothers/babysitting
wards and friends from outside the school.  If it's fun, they'll invite
friends, if not, they won't.  Obviously.

Two examples from our dance.  We anonymize the images of the dancers to
maintain their privacy.
https://youtu.be/52vtDQJ8cOU?si=Qzl92M4cmh4ty_OU
https://youtu.be/M0tgcdXQC78?si=jI-xSv8D2XKE45i-

My primary guide (but I believe I can speak for my co-organizer), given
what I've learned by this point and with more learning still to come as we
watch, listen and learn, is to give nourishment and space for "fun," play,
experimentation, mistakes, no-judgements, and share the joy of learning,
and the joy of moving to music.  We try and nourish what we, as of now, see
as the central point between all the dancers which is shared weight, shared
caring and kindness, and grooving to the music.

For a community contra, a success story I ran across, during this time of
seeking other case studies, comes from Philly.  I played (with Box and
String) at the Philly dance last May.   That night, there was a wonderful
range of ages and the organizers of that dance may have valuable knowledge
to share.  I was told that that diverse group had become the norm.  That
dance, in short, is a fun one.  The feeling of fun is attractive to all
ages.

Best fall wishes, all.
Rob

Robert Matson