For an organizers' role, it seems best to follow what the dancers want,
which is going to differ by the dance series. It could be the dancers you
have, or the dancers you are trying to recruit, but it's very important to
pay attention to what they like.

That said, here are some additional reasons why callers' choice may work
out for an individual group.

4. It's better to let callers learn and execute their craft, in their own
way, than to try and micro-manage them. If you have a good caller visiting
town, are you going to turn them away unless they use the right terms, or
are you going to put them in so long as they draw a crowd? The situation
reminds me of what a lot of public school teachers go through. There are
often more administrators than teachers in a public school district, and to
have something to do, they are always and forever stifling the teachers
with new rules and constraints each year. Learning new terms is much harder
on the callers than the dancers; we should be careful that one of the most
important resources of a contra dance group isn't stuffed into a situation
they're not excited to be in.

5. Dancers value diversity. It wouldn't be a very fun dance series if there
was a worked-out optimal sequence of dances, instructions, and songs, and
every single dance was exactly the same as the others. It would be like if
the movie theater showed the same movie every weekend. I feel like contra
dance is just going a certain direction, but at the same time, it will
always be fun for people to sometimes do things the old-fashioned way.

6. Dancers are different from each other. Variety among the callers will
pull in a generally larger crowd, because people will come for the caller
that changed their life, and stay for the ones that are merely pretty cool.

7. Dancers evolve, but slowly. Even assuming the new terms are here to stay
and will increasingly catch on, it's kinder and is gentler for retention to
let people dip their toe into the new terms gradually.

8. People like to role play something they aren't, and for that process to
happen, the role has to actually be something. One of my most memorable
experiences was two friends of mine sussing each other out as queer after
one made a sheepish, coded comment about really enjoying the theater. What
an interesting choice of code. They had this long talk late into the night,
and I belatedly learned that I could have been a much better friend to the
one of them if I'd listened better and had any idea what she was trying to
tell me. If you are spending a lot of time processing identity--who you
are, what categories you are in--it can be very healing to participate in
theater and to role play as something else. When you cast Peter Pan with a
female actor, you're not making the role of Peter Pan be non-gendered, and
you're not making the actor commit to being male. There's an air of
ambiguity, laughter, and FUN about that kind of situation that wouldn't be
possible if Peter Pan were changed to Nebish Nongendered. The issue for
traditional contra dance is not that Peter Pan is gendered, but that some
people are bored or resentful about always being Peter Pan, every single
time, for years on end.

Lex Spoon