I started consistently attending international folk dancing in Austin after
graduating from UT.  The group had a delightful tradition—not only did they
alternate line dances with couple dances, but after the break the first
dance was always a contra, called by Chuck Roth.  I looked forward to that
contra at every AIFD dance.
    When I moved to DFW I went to my first all-contra dance with the North
Texas Traditional Dance Society.  It was at Winfrey Point on White Rock
Lake—there is a spectacular view of the jewel-like Dallas skyline. The
stage was overflowing with musicians, and the floor was full of dancers. I
already knew what to do, thanks to Austin folk dancing.
    The romance of dancing in a beautiful location really helps with the
ambiance of a dance, with the mood of the dancers, and helps to create
special memories.  I’ve been so lucky to experience some great venues, but
also been happy to dance in basements, large rooms with low ceilings,
uneven floors.
   At our international folk dancing in San Antonio we sometimes do an
English dance but no contra because “there’s a contra group.”  So nobody
here is getting the gentle introduction to contra that I did.  I worry that
at our contra dances it can feel like “zero to sixty” and folks get
overwhelmed.

Lissa Bengtson
San Antonio