>From a quick, non-systematic look, I'd say River Falls tends to follow the
traditional gender roles:

   - April 15, 2023 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVvH-yzBP8>
   - February 7, 2015 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1THbxnGUQ>
   - August 2, 2014 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjEmrKoOTkk>

There's a core element not mentioned so far that organizers aren't under
full control of these things. People tend to go to groups that already
match a demographic they are looking for, which causes groups to
naturally organize around any demographic where people care about what the
other people at an event are going to be like. People will even move to
find their people, and the whole idea of "my people" is inherently
anti-diversity. When people move, the population where they leave and also
where they go are less diverse than before, and in opposite directions. So
then what do you do as an organizer in either of those locales? It wouldn't
always be the best move for either region to try and recreate what the
other one has, because they're serving different populations.

Many Atlantans will remember Roxx Tavern, which became the gay
bar/restaurant for people a notch younger than the clientele at the
Colonnade. I don't know about the Colonnade, but I spoke with both the
owner and the floor manager at Roxx, and they never did anything explicit
to attract the crowd they did, especially compared to say My Sister's Room.
The owner was even in disbelief for many years and had to really
stop, eventually, and go what is in front of me when I look at this room of
people, versus what I expected to see when I started this restaurant. I
think it's hard to explain the demographic at these restaurants unless you
factor in that people form groups together whenever there's any level of
comfort you'd expect to talk to someone in that group versus another. When
you do factor that in, you end up not needing any other explanation, so
this network effect is a powerful explainer.

Inclusivity is extremely important, both for recruitment and just to not
hurt people. Because of assortative behavior, though, it seems like there
are big limits on how much you can really move the demographic of a group.
The most promising options are to not be terrible--e.g. the comments about
weeding out the creepers. Beyond that, an inclusive dance won't necessarily
be diverse. I prefer dances with gender-role flexibility, but that River
Falls dance is bangin'.

As a separate effect, there's a tipping point within an individual event
about whether people, especially male-presenting folks, will swap roles
very much. There's a lot of friction around bucking any existing gender
trend for a dance, and contra dance by its nature is even a little bit
worse, because of the way you encounter new couples all up and down a line
once a minute, versus a couples dance or a line dance. I guess.... if an
organizer or caller wanted to counteract that effect, you'd want to look
for some kind of gentle on-ramp for guys to be comfortably swinging a male
neighbor,  or an older person to swing a younger neighbor. There are many
swings other than the conventional closed one, and even aside from gender
and age issues, the closed-position swing is already an uncomfortable
hurdle for new attendees who haven't danced before.

Lex Spoon