This is a long response, so here is the nutshell:

I had a false start with 10 years between my first and second dance (age
18/age 28). At my second dance I swallowed hook, line and sinker, though
the first few years of dancing were nomadic and dicey due to life events,
including the pandemic.
————-
My first dance was at Glen Echo MD (DC) in late summer 2009 when I was 18.
I went with my sister and her boyfriend and none of us had any knowledge or
expectations. We were late, missed the lesson, were terribly confused, but
I loved it and danced til the end, almost every dance with complete
strangers whom I recall where kind and helpful. When I got home to Richmond
VA, I looked up local dances and found that there was a series, but there
wasn’t a dance until November. I put it on my calendar, started college at
VCU, made friends who invited me to other things and the day of the dance
came and went and it fell off my calendar and out of my mind.

Fast forward 10 years, late summer 2009 I’m 28, in Chicago, I’m in the
break room at work and hear some people who I don’t know talking about the
local contra dance. I recall enjoying the one I went to a decade ago. My
sister and her family are coming to visit soon and so I ask about the
dance. We all go. My sister and I have a good time, her husband and my
boyfriend decidedly do not like it, the baby was as engaged as a baby can
be. Of the five of us who attended, I’m the one hooked.

After that I attended every weekly dance for about a month until work
uprooted me to southwest Virginia for the fall. Alone in SW Virginia, I
looked up contra dances in the central to SW Virginia areas and traveled to
every dance I could. Visiting family in Richmond, I went to the local
contra dance, met a man whom I hit it off with (now my boyfriend). He
joined me in dodging around to local dances that fall. We went to Richmond,
Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Blacksburg, Roanoke, Floyd and even went all
the way up to NY for Flurry Festival 2020.

Only months later, the pandemic hit, I relocated to Richmond, VA; there
were no contra dances for 2+ years in our area. About 8 months in to the
pandemic, I cold emailed the then president of the Richmond dance, asking
how I could get involved. There was a lot of changeover during the
pandemic, and within 4 months of dances starting again, in fall 2022, I had
joined the board… but that’s beyond the scope of the question.

Virginia
In Richmond, VA