I eased into contra.  I do count my introduction to square dancing in grade school and junior high school gym classes, starting 65 years ago, as my gateway.  I thoroughly enjoyed the activity.  In college, my fraternity held a couple of square dances.  Fresh out of grad school in 1978, I had been on the job for a few weeks when I saw a poster announcing an "old-fashioned, New England-Style barn dance.... Line, circle and square dances will be presented by a caller who will give instructions."  I came home and told my wife that we were going dancing.  (She had been my date at one of the fraternity square dances, so I knew she would be agreeable.)  After a few sporadic events, the enterprise evolved into a monthly series that continued until March 2020.  I remember the first few years being mostly square dances and circle mixers, with contras being added and then coming to dominate.  In about 1993 another employee and I took over responsibility for organizing the dances.

For a while the dance was wildly popular with a local singles group (I have two friends who met their future wives there), but mismanagement by our predecessor caused that group to stop coming.  Same band, same caller, leading the same dances month after month, became boring.  I, on the other hand, was not comfortable dancing with anyone other than my wife for probably the first 20 years.  I'm not sure what helped me change my attitude, perhaps when we started going to other dances in the area where switching partners for each dance was actively encouraged.

Dave,
Dancing in the Chicago area