> > Ideally, you would want the shadow caster's LOD to be
> selected based
> > on the distance between the eyepoint and the shadow
> receiver, wouldn't
> > you?
>
> Actually I would like it to be based on the distance from
> eyepoint to Shadow Caster (measured in main camera view
> space). If its based on / or adjusted to distance from Shadow
> Receiver we may end up with one LOD used on main camera
> screen and other LOD used in shadow map texture. Ie shape of
> shadow would be different than object on the screen casting
> the shadow.

That might be the solution you want, but I don't think it's a good general
solution for proper rendering.

If your eye is close to the shadow but far from the caster, then the shadow
covers a large pixel area and the caster covers a small pixel area. This is
exactly the case where you would want to use two different levels of detail
for the caster -- one to create a high resolution shadow, and the lower LOD
for the final rendered image of the caster. If the LOD distances are
configured correctly, the user should not notice that the caster and shadow
were rendered with two different levels of detail; the difference will be
lost in screen resolution.
   -Paul