Ryan,

Thank you for the suggestion.  When I call
setTargetMaximumNumberOfPagedLOD(0) on the database pager, as you suggested
and then set the expiry delay to DBL_MAX and the expiry frames to 10, as
Jason Suggested the problem seems to go away.  I'm not really sure why this
works.  It seems like the default behavior should work in my usage case, but
at least it is working now.

-Evan