Hi Robert,

On the same track,
perhaps we should also consider artificially restricting frame rate to
prevent running apps running at full pelt due to vsync being off.
The later is possible more important under Linux as I've found ATI,
Nvidia and Intel drivers neglect to enable vysnc by default.  Getting
this fixed is another battle though...

As an additional data point, on Windows, the NVidia drivers ship with vsync enabled by default, but ATI ships with it disabled. This always bugs me when setting up a new machine.

If you want to add a feature for capping the frame rate, then I'd like to suggest having a key, a command-line arg and an environment variable to enable/disable this, and perhaps a way of setting the target frame rate. Personally I prefer letting users have the choice, through the vsync setting in their driver, whether they want to cap the frame rate or not.

J-S