>That is possible. On the other hand, I do not see it as a necessarily
>bad or evil thing to do, because every manufacturer who can make a
>stereoscopic gizmo seems to have the compulsion to develop a proprietary
>electrical interface and protocol for it as well. So this could force a
>bit of sanity in the market. If your gadget needs something special,
>build a decoder/converter in it and do not expect others to do your job.
>
>As a user, I personally prefer devices that use standard
>protocols/connections, because then I know that it will likely work with
>other software than the vendor-provided driver that will be likely
>unsupported and not working on new Windows, new Linux kernel, X or
>whatever.

I dont disagree, it would be quite advatageous to have this
standardised, but of course the display manufacturers have to add to
the cost of thier equipment. So if the display is marketed for
mainstream use, but some (smaller) market segments could use it for
stereo it does not make economic sense for the manufacturer to add
hardware and cost for a small (relatively) group, and jack up the
price for everyone.

>Shutter glasses with LCDs are a problem due to latencies of the LCD and
>polarization issues (LCD has a polarizer in front of it). It is not
>really a graphic card vendor problem - you need special LCD screen to be
>able to use shutter glasses with it.

yes you are correct i forgot about this. Then it should be that the
new dual link 120Hz refr4esh lcd monitors that are being marketed as
part as LCD stereo packs sould work fine with a quadro and cabled lcd
shutter glasses

>Re USB sync - what for? To need a special driver and occupy an extra
>port for the glasses? The VGA connector has everything you need for
>this, even 5V power on it and the stereo signal circuitry is there
>already on Nvidia cards. The only thing you would need is a cable
>splitter with a connector for the glasses.

Does this still apply if you run DVI to an lcd monitor ?? From my
recollection if you connect using DVI to a display device ALL the
stereoscopic features on a quadro are disabled, becasue the refresh
rate sync used to time the glasses is generated differently.
(im not sure on this and could easily be wrong)

The only way stereo works (is enabled) on a quadro is via the 15 pin
vga analougue (with the dvi ti vga adaptor),  but then you cant use
the dual link dvi  hi refresh capability of the new lcd monitors
??????

Hence the USB sync ?????

Again i could be wrong on this, if some one knows this is not the case
please correct me

>That is possible, but these are really huge bricks, if I remember right.
>I would also hesitate buying DELL machine because of past experience
>with their "service", but that is another discussion.

Well our expereince was not bad. They are big, especially if you get
the 17inch screen version.
And while i never would purchase a DELL desktop i would get a dell
laptop or server.

Peted