Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Adjusting the material color alpha will work for some geometries but I have
other  geometries where each vertex has a BIND_PER_VERTEX color ( think of a
contour plot of a value), so I would still need to adjust the alpha of each
vertex color.

Actually you don't (unless you need a different alpha for each vertex). Normally, the material's settings will override the color array values. However, if you set the Material's color mode to some value other than NONE, the material color for that element (AMBIENT, DIFFUSE, AMBIENT_AND_DIFFUSE, SPECULAR, or EMISSION) will be replaced by the vertex color. Unless you doing something fancy, you can typically set the color mode to AMBIENT_AND_DIFFUSE, which lets you make use of your vertex colors, but vary the alpha as you need to.

Look in the red book, or the glColorMaterial man page for more info.

--"J"