Thanks!

My other mistake was using DECAL instead of REPLACE in my TexEnv.  I didn't
realize DECAL was keeping the point's original alpha, which made the entire
point sprite transparent, not just the X.

I still don't quite have the visual effect I want yet.  When the X's are close
enough to overlap, the topmost ones appear to be cutting a gap or casting a
shadow on the X's beneath, even though alpha is 0 for every black texel (see
attachment ps.jpg).  I'd like to just have the white overlap (as in attachment
at.jpg, from my AutoTransform implementation).  Is there anything I can do to
fix it?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Michael