It turns out that using point sprites is not an option for me as I now have a
requirement that the objects must rotate with the world.  I could use
AutoTransform with setAutoScaleToScreen(true) and
setAutoRotateMode(NO_ROTATION), but it's still not quite fast enough for my
application.  I am holding at around 19 fps, but I'd like to get it to at least
25 fps.

My scene graph contains several thousand MatrixTransforms arranged like this:

      Root
       MT ( x 2000)
     /     \
  MT      MT
  /  \     / \
MT MT MT MT
   \ |  |  /
AutoTransform

Geode

At my default zoom level, only about 32 objects are visible at a time.

Is there anything else I try to improve performance while maintaining the
constant screen size and rotate-with-world properties?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Michael