Robert,
Transparency wasn't an issue (that was a missing GL_BLEND) but there are a
couple other interesting things I discovered with texture arrays:

1) After loading a GIF, I had to manually call
image->setInternalTextureFormat(GL_RGBA8), otherwise I get this message and
a blank texture:

Warning: Texture2DArray::applyTexImage2DArray_subload(..) given image do
have wrong dimension or internal format.

The original internal texture format was "4" which doesn't appear to be
legal even for glTexImage; perhaps glTexStorage is being more strict.

2) When using the LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR minfilter, along with calling
tex->setResizeNonPowerOfTwoHint(false), the image appears black and I see

Warning: detected OpenGL error 'invalid operation' at
StateSet::compileGLObejcts() compiling texture attribute Texture2DArray.

Again, these may just be glTexStorage strictly enforcing things that
glTexImage was lenient about.

Glenn