Thanks for this.

However, this still leaves me confused about OsmAnd-core.  The build
instructions all seem to suggest building the legacy core.  I think i've
attempted something similar to those build instructions (following the
fdroid
build) and it also did not use the master branch of OsmAnd-core.

The master branch of OsmAnd-core seems to use GPUs with a potential for
multi-threading, which seems quite exciting and overdue.  I'd like to get
involved with this if i can help, but there's no point in me messing with
legacy
code when the new stuff has already been (to some extent) done.