The current status of my build attempt, following the instructions at
https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd-core are as follows:

   - I'm building armeabi-android-gcc.sh instead of amd64-linux-gcc.sh.

   - I had to correct build/target/android-gcc.cmake to set system_lib_dirs
   to include

${toolchain_root}/lib/gcc/${toolchain_prefix}/${toolchain_version}.x/${toolchain_lib_subpath}.

   That is, i had to add ".x" after ${toolchain_version}.
   - Compilation currently fails with "cannot find -lgnustl_shared. This is
   frustrating since gnustl_shared is found using find_library(), which
   returns the full path.  At some point, CMake is throwing away the full path
   and then complaining that the library cannot be found...