Here's mine. I keep harping on about the therapeutic nature of certain food prep processes -- for me it's the ones that involve messy dough-kneading and things that take shape and transform their texture -- risotto, home-made pasta, home-made bread, fudge... Food prep can be very therapeutic but my experience of running a meal prep group as an OT student with suburban, depressed, white, working-class elders was one of the most depressing therapy experiences I've had -- they just wanted to boil potatoes and boil lots of bland stuff and wouldn't use garlic or spices or herbs or onions or anything that had any texture or taste. They seemed to have no conception of the sensual joy of cooking or eating. I think they only gained from the group in the aspect of working and co-operating with others and the medium itself was lost... but that in itself is something worthwhile...

Where do you live?
London, UK

Would you describe your location as urban, suburban, or rural?
Urban. Very urban indeed.

How many adults live in your home?
2.

How many older children who drive?
Nil (I have no kids and I hate cars).

How many young children?
Nil.

Who buys the food?
Shared. I love browsing the organic markets and farmers' markets. My partner does more sensible shopping.


Who puts away the food?
Shared.

Who prepares the food?
Shared, though I go more for lunches than evening meals so the evening meals are more often cooked by my partner as I'm usually less hungry.


Who cleans up after meals?
Shared. Both quite slovenly.

Do you feel�that you as one of the adults are competent in food choice and preparation?
Yes. I do a mean vegetable curry; porcini risotto and kippers with mashed potato and poached egg. Oh, and there's my grand-dad's vanilla fudge recipe -- very therapeutic in the making. My partner is more experimental and does some excellent meals.


Do you feel you have enough time to handle the food tasks?
Yes but I should motivate myself more and find the time to bake my own bread -- it's so therapeutic. We make our own pasta sometimes, but not often enough. That's a very therapeutic process, too.


What shortcuts are helpful at your house?
Poach the eggs one by one in advance and plunge into iced water. They can all then be reheated in one minute when you've prepared the rest of the meal and are as good as freshly cooked. Mash lots of potato all at once and chuck a few containers of it in the freezer for another day. Wash up as you cook. Avoid the microwave -- there's no fun in cooking by microwave -- the enjoyment of the process is vital.


How do you instruct, train, or coerce your offspring to participate in labor related to food?
N/A. I don't really want kids.


Do you feel your offspring will be competent in this area of life?
N/A.


*****************************��**********************************


To remove yourself from the OTnow mail list, send a message to:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the message, indicate what address you want removed from OTnow

-

List messages are archived at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*****************************��***********************************



Reply via email to