_____________________________________________________________________
Visit the OTnow Bulletin Board at:

http://otnow.com/otbb/
______________________________________________________________________
I just found this draft on my computer answering questions posed by Jody
which I had not finished. Since the list will be down soon I'm sending
it for what it's worth. For the record I'm finding the bulletin board
easier to use than the list. I have set it as my home page, set for
automatic login. When I go on the net it comes up and I click on any new
messages since last visit. It's great except that a lot of you are not
there. Hope to see you soon. www.otnow.com/otbb 

 

 

 

Here goes Jody. Maybe the OccSci list (sorry Occupational Science) will
be interested in this if there are lots of responses.

1)       We live in a farming market town in Southern Alberta, Canada.
The town has doubled in size in the fourteen years we have lived here.
It is now considered close to Calgary but for most of its hundred year
history was 'the biggest place around': market, education, business and
medical centre for the grain farms and beef ranches. We still have heavy
farm equipment dealers, auto dealers with a heavy emphasis on pickup
trucks, saddlers and all kinds of farm equipment and supplies. In
addition there are all the services, accountants, lawyers, medical etc.
for a population about four times the size of the town, now about
10,000. Because of our location within an hour of Calgary we are
considered rural, here. I grew up in a very similar town in Ontario with
no big city close by and that was definitely considered urban so take
your pick.

2)       We are two semi-retired adults with no children at home.

3)       None

4)       None

5)       I buy most of the basics. Very occasionally we grocery shop
together. My husband has always cooked and often buys the special things
he intends to cook, especially meat (from the butcher not the
supermarket). When he does basic shopping he tends not to read labels or
pay attention to price differences so he's much faster than I am.

6)       I generally put the food away although my husband will if I am
not around.

7)       We both prepare food, my husband from choice over the years and
me from necessity for family meals. We both enjoy having guests in the
house and work well as a team for company dinners. I remember a time
when guests were obviously astounded that I could cook alone as my
husband arrived home after they had arrived. Now it is more a shared
responsibility as I frequently work on days when he is home.

8)       Whoever didn't cook cleans up or we do it together.

9)       We are both competent.

10)   There is time now.

11)   Shortcuts/ energy conservation - Planned leftovers, cooking for
several meals at once, leaving things we use daily out on the counter,
setting the table from the dishwasher when unloading, using a trolley,
organising the kitchen by function (tea, cups etc. near the kettle), a
moveable chopping block counter with knives etc. in the drawer and
breakfast cereals and crackers below plus kitchen stools for both of us.
(This means we can move ourselves out of the way for prep chores but
move the whole thing close to either the sink or the stove.) Unlike most
North American families we have never eaten in the kitchen so setting
the table is usually the first thing we do

12)    

 

 

 

Joan Riches

1109 4th St SE

High River, AB T1V 1J2

403 652 7928

FAX 403 652 7970

 

_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================

Reply via email to