--- Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<< I probably represent the last generation ever to
emigrate to America by ship. >>

Well, by 1967, not only were few people emigrating to
America by ship, but few people were emigrating from
Western Europe to America by any means, except perhaps
some from Southern Italy (I assume you are not, in
fact, Southern Italian given that you are a "Roberts",
but one never knows).

The last emigrants to America by ship probably came
over in the 1970s largely from Southern Italy before
Italian Line/"Italia" ended their North Atlantic
service.

<< We came over on the Queen Elizabeth I in 1967. It
was, I believe, the next-to-last crossing the ship
made before Cunard Lines ended transatlantic service.

Cunard never ended Transatlantic service - it
continues to this day.

Cunard became the only shipping line to operate a
regular North Atlantic passenger service in 1987 after
Gdynia-America Line withdrew their last ship, STEFAN
BATORY, which operated on the Gdynia-Montreal service.

QUEEN ELIZABETH didn't retire until October 1968. MARY
retired a year earlier, in 1967. The service was
resumed in April 1969 when QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 entered
service, and she ran it until 2004 when she was
(mostly) replaced by QM2. (However, QE2 still does
occasional crossings, in addition to her now more
usual cruises.)

Actually, QE2 made visit to New York yesterday, though
this was part of a round-trip cruise from Southampton
to various Eastern US and Canadian ports. It is
relatively rare these days to have her on these
shores; generally she visits four or five times a year
now that QM2 has become Cunard's regular Atlantic
liner.

I might also add that today (20 September) is also a
big anniversary in Cunard history - or really, two big
anniversaries. For one, it is the 100th anniversary of
the launching of MAURETANIA (I) at Swan, Hunter &
Wigham Richardson,  Wallsend; it is also the 39th
anniversary of the launching of QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 at
John Brown & Company, Clydebank.

--- "Bob W" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<< I can beat that. I took my first baby steps aboard
the Strathnaver coming to England from Australia in
1958. >>

Well now, I suppose the only person who could beat you
would be someone BORN at sea! (And through the
Internet I have met no fewer than TWO people who were
born on line voyages from Italy to Australia, aboard
the same ship with the same Captain, though not on the
same voyage!)

Doug