Sony is supposed to come with an FF sensor and camera in 2007
(supposedly first part of 2007).

-----

Is anyone else thinking that this is something to consider when deciding
whether to buy one of the very expensive forthcoming DA* zooms, or any
other expensive DA lens?

-----

I should clarify this, since some people thought I was referring to a
possible switch to Sony. That isn't what I meant.

There are many "ifs." Here are two: (1) If the rumor is true. (2)If the
sensor is affordable enough to bring out a camera at the original price
point of the D100 and *ist D--about U.S. $1700. If these "ifs" should
come true, this sensor will gain an expanding share of the market, and
in time either drive out APS-C sensors, or reduce their use to very
low-end cameras. That is why I am wondering whether I should buy any
more DA lenses.

Whether APS-C is good enough for anyone's individual needs, or for DSLRs
in general, is irrelevant. Problems of using wide angle lenses on a 24 x
36 mm sensor are irrelevant. The 645D is irrelevant. All that matters
will be the dynamics of the market. Reviewers and retailers will hype
the sensor. It will become the standard. Nikon will have to adopt it,
then Pentax will follow.

This is not speculation. It is what we see happening now with the 10 mp
sensor starting to displace the 6 mp sensor that many of us liked.

I hope these things don't happen. I like my DA lenses and I like shake
reduction. But if this sensor materializes, watch the price carefully.
If it is priced affordably, the days of the APS-C sensor and DA lenses
are numbered.

Joe