>     Why is it that whenever someone raises this point, they always fail
> to recognize that the people who are subjected to waterboarding also
> are
> subjected to it in training.  They know how it works.  It's just that
> it's unpleasant enough to remain effective.

the evidence suggests that it's not effective. But that's not what matters,
what matters is the moral issue. Even if it was 100% effective it would
still be wrong and we should not do it.

> That said, I'd gladly submit myself to waterboarding if you'll allow me
> to deploy any of the tactics typically used by the people being
> subjected to it in return.

that's a damn silly thing to say, the sort of thing you hear in playgrounds.
We're supposed to be different from those people. Use of their tactics makes
us indistinguishable and means we have lost the fight to defend and promote
our values.