On 3/19/2011 8:25 PM, eckinator wrote:
2011/3/20 P. J. Alling<webstertwenty...@gmail.com>:
It's not the government that's rational, but the humans who run it and do
it's bidding that are.  If you think that there are no consequences improper
behavior should, just ask the General in charge of Abu Ghraib, she no longer
has a career in the US military, the subordinates that were directly
responsible were court-martialed and most received long prison sentences.
  If Manning is being mistreated it will come out and heads will roll.  Maybe
not the heads you want to roll but someone in the chain of responsibility
will pay.  Hell, the US Navy just relieved the Skipper of the Enterprise for
actions he took as the executive officer, that didn't even come close to
mistreating a prisoner.  His immediate superiors who knew of his actions and
tacitly allowed them to continue will be taking early retirement with loss
of pay and rank.  Their careers ruined as his.
yes but how many get away with similar things? and how do you know
those weren't just pawn sacrifices... my impression is you don't do
such things unless you are in an athmosphere that condones or
encourages such conduct... any government that allows waterboarding
and other forms of torture must not act surprised when their
executives vary the routine a bit...
You know, Ecki man, I love you but I'm bowing out of this conversation. There's no reasoning with you. You seem to be completely paranoid on this matter. You seem to be impervious to fact and logic. Oh, and by the way, I'm getting pretty tired of hearing that water boarding is "torture". I have friends who have undergone training to withstand interrogation, and being water boarded is part of the training. It's a thoroughly unpleasant experience, but calling it torture is like saying being slapped with a wet towel is the same as being whipped with a bull whip. One will cause your flesh to sting, the latter will rip it off.

--
Where's the Kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom!

        --Marvin the Martian.