On 17/04/2013 1:01 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
On Apr 16, 2013, at 11:36 PM, Bipin Gupta wrote:

Hey, why are you guys switching focus points when framing your
subject. I am told the center point is the most accurate. So I focus
on the subject using the center point, hold the shutter half way down,
and while still holding it recompose the shot.
Eureka !! I get great photos. And I am not whining.
That doesn't work when I am photographing dancers. When shooting subjects
moving around such as dancers and musicians, you can get some idea of
composition, and wait for them to be in the right spot, but you can't
necessarily prefocus.  If I try to focus with the center point
  and recompose, I have lost the shot.

By the way, has anyone tested whether a split prism focusing screen and a slow
lens will affect autofocus accuracy on the center point?

The split prism screen should have no effect, since AF has absolutely nothing to do with the focusing screen. A slow lens shouldn't affect AF accuracy until the light levels fall enough that AF is compromised and the camera starts hunting. The slow lens will automatically increase DOF over a fast lens if the fast lens is used at a wider aperture than what is available on the slower lens, which will tend to have a masking effect regarding AF accuracy. I find exactly the same thing you do when shooting portraits. If I am waiting for the model to give me the expression I want, and sometimes it is very fleeting, using center point and recomposing is not in the cards.

bill