Silly or not, the original poster had made it very clear that he didn't want
an Apple product.  As such, it seems more than a little pointless (or worse)
to suggest that an iPad would be the right choice for him. He's entitled to
his opinions, no matter how silly you think they might be.

In my wife's case she was upgrading from a Kindle, and was able to transfer
over all the apps that she'd purchased, so an Android tablet was the right
choice for her.  If I get a modern tablet I'd probably go for an Android,
too - I've got an old ASUS Transformer I got as part of a project that I was
working on, and we both have Android phones, so there's really not a lot of
sense in considering switching to a different platform.