I lived in Somerset County for almost a year working on a project for the "old" AT&T.  There were a lot of members of the team who were commuting from NY City.  They were amazed at how nice the area was and how "inexpensive" the rents were for what you got.  None of them moved there however.  No accounting for taste.  Connecticut was less expensive and just as nice, and at the time our Government was a bit more honest.  I haven't kept up on NJ politics, but I think I can safely say the Connecticut is now more corrupt than NJ was then.