Some cameras, might use Pixel binning which combines all the information in four adjacent pixels to produce one,  or they can simply drop enough pixels using only the color information to get to 6mp.    Since 16mp doesn't come that close to being 4x 6mp, (I'd have to think about the math and  I'm feeling extremely lazy right now so I'll go with that), there's going to be some resizing and manipulation either way.