On 9/10/2018 23:34, ann sanfedele wrote:

On 9/10/2018 11:22 PM, John wrote:
Up to Category 4 this afternoon. Current predicted track is straight up I-40 from Wilmington. AFAIK, the only Cat 4 storm to hit NC was Hazel in 1954.

Florence is more or less on the same predicted track as Fran back in 1996 (and Hazel in 1954 although there was no I-40 back then).

Hugo was Cat 4 when it made landfall at Charleston, SC. I've seen some reports Florence may reach Cat 5 before it hits. We've never had a Cat 5 here AFAIK. Hurricane Floyd was Cat 2 when it hit (September 16), but it stalled and dropped 19 inches of rain on top of the 15 inches of rain from Dennis (September 4)

I have my generator gassed up, so I should be able to keep my refrigerator going. I've got 5 gallons of water and my chain-saw is gassed up. I've got my camp stove with 3 bottles of gas so I think I'll be able to feed myself.

If the power goes out I won't have internet, so if you don't hear from me for a while you'll know why.

It ain't lookin' good. I hope I don't lose my roof again.

John - hope you are not hit as hard as they are predicting -- we are supposed to suffer a bit from Florence as well - but it isn't clear...
one question -   only 5 gallons of water???

ann

The National Hurricane Center recommends 3 gallons per person. I'm up to 6 now (found another empty last night & filled it).

That's not counting a dozen 500ml bottles of water I keep in each of my cars.

With previous storms, I never had any problem with the water being shut off. Never even got a "boil water" advisory.

My big deal right now is trying to get my kitchen completed today & tomorrow, because I know if the winds blow the roof off again, I'm not going to be able to get back to working on the kitchen for a while.

At least this time around I don't have to worry about the National Guard calling me to State Duty for the cleanup. Any damage I'll be able to get on to repairing right away instead of spending two weeks trying to ride herd on a bunch of crazy people who have never used a chain saw before.

I'm trying to stay positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M