At 08:02 PM 1/18/2015, Frederik Stjernfelt wrote:
FS: I know of no-one being a realist about any possible claim or any possible universal! All realists know it is only some universals which are real ("phologiston", "ether", "unicorn" and a host of others are not).

HP: In my mind this is a truism.

FS: True, but it is the same truism as Miller's

HP: No, it is not the same. You are saying that one can be a realist about some concepts and not a realist about other concepts. This is quite obvious and hence a truism.

Miller and I are saying that one can be more-or-less realist and more-or-less nominalistic about one particular concept. This complementarity is not a truism, because in fact many philosophers who have trained (or "shackled") their minds with "either-or" logic do not accept it. Your response to Stan claiming that invoking a realistic component to a nominalist concept makes you a realist is an example.

Combined realist-nominalist components exist in all models and are often difficult to clearly distinguish. In chemistry the models of atoms and molecules have both. In evolution the concepts of selection and species have both. In physics the concepts of space, time, and wave functions have both.

Howard