From: Matt Faunce [mailto:mattfau...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, 13 December 2015 10:03
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu 1
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] RE: signs, correlates, and triadic relations

Franklin, Peircers,

Here a distinction that I find helpful:

EP2.227: "perceptual judgments contain general elements," whereas percepts
don't. So, if you have a general type (legisign) in mind then you have a
perceptual judgment. So, smoke, as understood as being a type, e.g., relating
to other instances of smoke, is a perceptual judgment.

Any dichotomy made within a percept is a perceptual judgment. One very basic
dichotomy is 'me and not me'. The judgment 'x is not me' is judging x to be the
general class of 'not me'. The judgment 'x is not y' is to generalize x by
thinking it belongs to the general class of not y.  For example, let's say 'x
is not y' is 'the dark part* of my percept is different from the light part';
this is a way of typifying x, the dark side, as 'not y', 'not of the same type
as the light part.'

In merely seperating the tone of dark from the tone of light, the tone of dark
becomes a token of the type 'not the tone of light'. I can't imagine there can
be a token that's not also a type of this most basic kind. If this is correct
then all perceptual judgments are dicisigns.

Your question about how the categories fit into this analysis is a good one.

* Here I mean the word 'dark' as only indicating the mere tone (qualisign),
i.e., before 'dark' is typified with other instances of dark. Similarly, 'x is
not y' etc., need not be verbalized propositions. It seems to me that this
basic level of dicisign precedes the sinsign, in that 'x', 'the dark tone' only
come as a result of the distinction (this basic level generalization).

Matt

On Dec 12, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Franklin Ransom