John, List,

I have personally always understood “saving the phenomena” to
mean preserving the appearances, that is, whatever explanation
we come up with must leave the appearances invariant.

I remember reading somewhere that the Greek “sozein” could mean
either save or solve.  I thought it was Ian Hacking but not sure.
Poking around the web for it did turn up this historical comment:

https://thonyc.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/%CF%83%E1%BF%B4%CE%B6%CE%B5%CE%B9%CE%BD-%CF%84%E1%BD%B0-%CF%86%CE%B1%CE%B9%CE%BD%CF%8C%CE%BC%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%B1-sozein-ta-phainomena/

Regards,

Jon