Hi Gary R,

You wrote :

"As I thought I'd made clear over the years, and even quite recently, I do
not consider the 9 parameters                          (121915-1)
as signs at all, so that when I am discussing signs as possibly embodied
signs, I am *always* referring to
the 10 classes."

I have two comments on (121915-1) and a suggestion:

(1) If 'qualisign' is not a sign, why do you think Peirce used the word
"sign" in "qualisign" ?

(2)  The problem, as I see it, may stem from what seems to me to be an
unjustifiably firm belief on the part of many semioticians that there is
only one kind of sign in Peirce's writings, i.e., the triadic ones (or the
10 classes of signs). But what if, in Peirce's mind, there were two kinds
of signs, i.e., the 9 types of signs and the 10 classes of signs, although
he used the same word "sign" to refer to both of them, just as physicists
use the same word "particles" for both *quarks* and *baryons.*  They are
both particles but physicists discovered that protons and neutrons are not
fundamental particles but are composed of triplets of more fundamental
particles called quarks.

(3)  I think the confusions in semiotics that Peirce himself seemed to have
contributed to creating by not naming the 9 types of signs and 10 classes
of signs DIFFERENTLY may be removed by adopting two different names
(belatedly) for these two kinds of signs, e.g., the "*elementary signs*"
for the 9 types and the "*composite signs*" for the 10 classes of signs as
I recommended in [biosemiotics:46]. The former is monadic and incomplete as
a sign, while the latter is triadic and hence complete as a sign.  Again
this situation seems similar to the relation between quarks and baryons:
Quarks are incomplete particles in that they cannot be isolated outside
baryons whereas baryons (which are composed of three quarks) are complete
particles since they can be isolated and experimentally measured.

All the best.

Sung