Gary F., List:

GF:  My responses to your four questions and the rest of your post are
inserted into it below.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

GF:  It could be those, but it’s also possible that the reference is not
that specific; Peirce might even be referring to Pragmatism, or to his
theory of “logic as semeiotic” in the broad sense.

Yes, and I found some additional clues in the manuscript drafts (R
841-844).  That post may have gotten lost in the recent digressions, so I
am thinking about re-sending it.

GF:  I think there is a logical connection between the hypothesis of God’s
reality (as laid out in the NA) and the doctrine of “the light of nature,”
or “*il lume naturale*” ...

This is consistent with both the published version of the article and
several of its drafts.

GF:  If you accept that the “light of nature” hypothesis is an essential
part of “this theory of thinking,” an obvious consequence would be that our
guesses about how nature works turn out to be confirmed, or at least
useful, much more often than would be the case if there were no connection
at all between the processes of nature and of reasoning.

Indeed, Peirce drafted multiple versions of a detailed probabilistic
argument for this.

GF:  But *roughly*, I think it would mean that adopting either of them as a
belief and living accordingly would have experiential consequences that
would never arouse a “living doubt” of either one in the mind of an honest
inquirer.

This strikes me as a very interesting way of thinking about it.

GF:  Now, Peirce in the NA offers no evidence or argument that Ens
necessarium, or the Real creator of all three Universes of Experience, is
in fact benign; and elsewhere (CP 1.143 for instance) he implies that we
have no reason to think Him benign.

In R 843, he states that the NA pertains to "the Being whose Attributes
are, in the main, those usually ascribed to Him, Omniscience, Omnipotence,
Infinite Benignity, a Being *not *'immanent in' the Universes of Matter,
Mind, and Ideas, but the Sole Creator of every content of them, without
exception."

GF:  If the former, this use of the term “God” would make Peirce a
pantheist or panentheist ...

Pantheism and panentheism both seem to be ruled out by Peirce's
explicit *denial
*in at least two drafts, including the one quoted above, that God--as he
defines the term--is "immanent in Nature."

GF:  The conclusion would be better stated as: *there is reason to suspect
that human minds and nature come from the same source*. Or that *human mind
is part of nature*.

This is a fair point, and Peirce evidently anticipated it, or at least
something like it.  CP 6.491 includes his description of the objection that
"man's power of guessing at the truth" could simply be--like the instincts
of animals to which he compared it--"entirely explained by the action of
natural selection," and thus inapplicable to metaphysical matters like the
Reality of God.  However, for some reason the editors left out Peirce's
response that immediately follows in R 844.

CSP:  This opens an interesting question of logic to which I have devoted
much study, with the result of fully satisfying myself that man's power of
divining the truth is not so circumscribed.  My reply to this objection
could not be given here nor in any piece to be read at one sitting.  My
reply would show that whatever general conduct of a race would fit or
disfit its individuals to the life to come, may be expected also to adapt
or maladapt the race itself to maintaining its footing in this world; and
further to show, through its pragmaticistic interpretation, that the belief
in the Ens necessarium would according as it were true or false, fit or
disfit individuals to eternal life hereafter.  And consequently, natural
selection naturally will act here on earth to the cultivation of this
belief, if it be true, and to its suppression if it be false, just as it
acts in respect to ordinary morality.

Peirce appears to be suggesting here that the persistence of humanity's
instinctive belief in God is evidence that it is true.

GF:  I think Hull may be more on the right track in her emphasis on
diagrammatic thinking.

Again, I find that notion very attractive; but the article is long and
complex, and I probably need to read it again (and again) to ensure that I
have understood it properly.

Regards,

Jon