Edwina, list,
I dont remember, where I have got the term "Horror Vacui" from, but I think it means, that the nature is afraid of a vacuum, so there cannot be nothing, so there must always be something, by any means.
Best,
Helmut
 23. September 2016 um 21:47 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:

Nice outline, Helmut. But I'll  quibble with a few terms.

For example, your theist claims that 'an intelligent system is a person' while an atheist would never anthropomorphise intelligence in that way.

An atheist might well consider that this 'quasi-Mind' or Mind functions to prevent the 'horror vacui - i.e., to prevent entropic dissipation of matter but this doesn't mean that achieving this result, along with its complexity, requires a supreme intelligence, which is the view of the theist.

And Jeff adds evaluative terms, such as 'beauty, goodness and truth' and adds a 'divine character' to its nature. I'm not sure what the latter term [divine character] means and the first three - I think need some clarification, at least, in my view.

Edwina
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 3:28 PM
Subject: Aw: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Theory of Thinking

Jeff, list,
you wrote: " Whether we call that embodied system of Ideas and Ideals "Nature" or "God" matters little to me--so long as we grow to appreciate the Beauty, Goodness and Truth of its Divine character."
I think the same. Somebody wrote some weeks ago, that there is a saying that philosophers spend most of their time not elaborating theories, but discussing about the meanings of terms. I guess, this also applies to theologists, the medieval scholastics too, and that "God" is such a term. I also think, that the discussion between atheists and theists is not about whether God exists or not, but what the term "God" means. And, presuming it means that He is a person, then the discussion perhaps is mostly about the meaning of the term "person": An atheist might say: Nature and evolution are nonpersonal, but nevertheless quite intelligent systems, and a theist might answer: But an intelligent system is a person, so why should I not call it "God". An atheist might claim, that everything is only based on a simple principle: The "Horror Vacui" of nature. Then a theist might answer: The simpler the tools are, that achieve great complexity, the greater must be the intelligence that has invented these tools. I can think of a discussion between an atheist and a theist, like a theater play, and in the end comes out, that both share exactly the same philosophy, just the atheist does not want to say "God", and the theist does.
Best,
Hlmut
 23. September 2016 um 20:32 Uhr