Helmut, List,

Helmut wrote: ""Atum", the ancient Egyptian myth, as you wrote, is the
state of the beginning, and it is nothing and everything at the same time."

I do not  subscribe to and am certainly not proselytizing the Kemetic myth,
just offering it as a possible source (along with Tohu Bohu, and the other
deep and/or dark and/or vague and/or oceanic-watery creation myths), a mere
possible source for Peirce's more scientific musings (or, as he wrote,
pre-scientific) musings on early cosmology. Or, perhaps it's just a
suggestive parallel. You wrote:

So the Egyptians concluded that at the beginning there should have been a
situation which is both, "all" and "nothing" at the same time. But all is
the opposite of nothing, isnt it.

and then go on to suggest that there is something "patronizing" in
 suggesting that it may be possible to see "all" and "nothing"  "at the
same time." Yet in Peirce's more scientific (or, perhaps, less
mythological) view, in this early cosmological context this is exactly what
he does in suggesting that here it is a matter of a kind of proto-state of
"everything in general and nothing in particular." This has always made
some sense to me, but if it doesn't to you, well, so be it. But there is
absolutely nothing patronizing in it, that's for sure.

As for Time, that is ceratinly too vast a topic even in Peirce's thinking
alone to attempt to summarize anything which might be of value here. But I
will note that in the context of his early cosmological thinking he is at
pains to say that even when it is necessary to write, say, "this *then*
that," that strictly speaking, there was not yet TIme, so that "this *then*
that" can only be a manner of speaking and can't be taken literally.

I am not an atheist but, as I believe Peirce was not, I am also not a
doctrinaire or dogmatic theist. It is possible to be a religious person and
still maintain a scientific attitude. In my opinion, Peirce is  one of the
most extraordinarily developed examples of this kind of person.

I am not an atheist because, for one thing, I refuse to 'reduce' the
origins of this cosmos to an improbably singularity (a Big Bang--and, as
you probably know, there is not one version of this theory, but several,
and competing theories as well, although the current scientific dogma won't
allow for that).

Nor do I see self-organization (a sound enough principle) and self-creation
(whatever that may mean) as the only principles of semiosis, life and
evolution.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]