Jerry, list,

It has to do with the uncertainty principle. Here's an excerpt from a discussion "Planck length, minimal length?" by Don Lincoln, Friday, Nov. 1, 2013, at Fermilab Today:

   [Quote]
   Now that we understand what Planck length is, we can turn our
   attention to the question of whether it is the smallest possible
   length. For that, we need to turn to quantum mechanics and,
   specifically, a thing called the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
   This general principle of the universe states that it is impossible
   to measure position and momentum simultaneously with infinite
   precision — measure one well and the other will be measured poorly.

   Mead used the uncertainty principle and the gravitational effect of
   the photon to show that it is impossible to determine the position
   of an object to a precision smaller than the Planck length.

   So why is the Planck length thought to be the smallest possible
   length? The simple summary of Mead's answer is that it is
   impossible, using the known laws of quantum mechanics and the known
   behavior of gravity, to determine a position to a precision smaller
   than the Planck length.
   [End quote]

There's also discussion of why the Planck length is a natural unit, and also various qualifications. "Smallest possible length" should be taken in the sense of measurability of position. Beyond that, I know little, I'm not a physicist and haven't authored any Wikipedia physics articles. But I would imagine that electric field theory, if it contradicts quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle, is valid only in some classical limit.

Best, Ben