  From: Jon Alan Schmidt
  To: Edwina Taborsky
  Cc: Peirce-L
  Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:38 AM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Universal/General/Continuous and
Particular//Singular/Individual

  Edwina, List:

  I agree that we should not rehash our past debates; I am simply offering my
own alternative views.

  I have never endorsed your model of semiosis, with its emphasis on data
input/output, because my personal opinion is that it is not authentically
Peircean.  In particular, I have consistently maintained that the Sign is the
Representamen, which has relations with its Object and Interpretant; the latter
are not parts of the Sign itself.  As such, a Sign is triadic, but not a triad.

  It is not merely according to me that the Dynamic Object of a Legisign must
also be in a mode of 3ns; that is what Peirce himself wrote to Lady Welby in
1908 (EP 2:481).  As I have suggested before, you seem to embrace the 1903
taxonomy with its three trichotomies and ten Sign classes, and reject the later
versions that had six or ten trichotomies and 28 or 66 Sign classes.  What
would be an example of a Legisign--not an instantiated replica thereof, which
is a Sinsign--with a Dynamic Object that is in a mode of 1ns or 2ns?

  Note that I am talking about the mode of the Dynamic Object itself, not its
relation with the Sign; the latter is the Icon/Index/Symbol distinction.  Hence
an Argument is not the only Sign class whose relation with its Object is in a
mode of 3ns; all Symbols fall under that description, including Rhematic
Symbols (terms) and Dicent Symbols (propositions).  However, an Argument is the
only Sign class whose relation with its Interpretant is in a mode of 3ns.

  Regards,

  Jon