Edwina, List:

"Reductionist," "mechanical," "individual," "nominalist," and "isolate" are
all *your *pejorative labels for my views, and I am not convinced that they
are accurate.  I see the primary difference between us as triadic *relations
*(my view) vs. triadic *entities* (your view).  Something is not a
Representamen unless it has a triadic *relation *with an Object and an
Interpretant.  Objects can exist without necessarily serving as Dynamic
Objects for Signs, and many Dynamic Objects are not Existents (2ns) at
all--they are Possibles (1ns) or Necessitants (3ns).  Interpretants, by
definition, can only come about as results of semeiosis; but only Dynamic
Interpretants *exist *as something actual--Immediate Interpretants are real
possibilities, and Final Interpretants are real habits.

To repeat my question below and (hopefully) get us back on topic--can
anyone identify an example of a concept or other Legisign (not embodied as
a Sinsign) whose Dynamic Object is in a mode of 1ns or 2ns?  If not, then
my contention would seem to be correct that all objects of concepts are
generals (3ns); and since some objects of concepts are real, it must be the
case that some generals are real.  Furthermore, since everything that is
real can (in principle) be the object of a concept, everything that is real
must be general (to some degree).  The nominalist alternative is to claim
that no objects of concepts are real, or at least that there are some real
things that cannot be the objects of concepts and thus are incognizable.
Of course, Peirce flatly rejected such an approach as blocking the way of
inquiry.

Regards,

Jon