Clark, List:

In Peirce's terminology, a diagram is a certain *type *of icon--one that
"resembles" its object by embodying the significant *relations *among its
parts.  The notion of *significant *relations (rather than *all *relations)
is where your point about "more and less" comes into play.  As you
suggested, I wonder if the diagram specified by the universal "red" is
simply the continuous spectrum of colors that correspond to electromagnetic
wavelengths between 620 and 750 nm, or if John S. has something else in
mind.  Either way, I suspect that the diagram specified by the universal
"lion" is much more difficult to characterize.