Tom:

A simple list of color *names *does not seem to qualify as a diagram in
Peirce's terminology, because it does not embody any relations among its
parts.  A depiction of the visible spectrum is probably a better example,
whether it is a simple color wheel or the discrete (but dense) version that
you can pull up on your computer monitor to display two million different
shades.

I would suggest that the object of such a diagram is a range of qualities;
i.e., real possibilities.  Which particular diagram is suitable depends
mainly on the purpose for which someone is using it.  To teach primary and
secondary colors to a child, the color wheel with only six varieties is
adequate.  Early video games and personal computers made do with a palette
of just 16 colors.  An artist might not want to be limited to any finite
collection of hues, and thus will freely smear together different paints
until the result is just right.