Jon,

Pardon me from barging in, but I've been vaguely following this thread, and
your question:

    "How are we relating a stop sign to a diagram when we call it red …?"

kind of broke through the haze.

I don't think the universal of Peirce's realism in this case would be the
"red" as an attribute of stop signs.  Rather the concept, or diagram of
possibilities, would be "color," a universal that mediates between "things"
in general and some things, like stop signs, that are "red" rather than
some other color.  We apply the concept of color, to the extent we
comprehend that diagram of possibilities, to things and some of those
things come out more red than others.  Peirce's contention, as I understand
him, is that such a mediating concept or universal is real.

In general, I would argue that Peirce's notion of "universal" needs to be
associated with thirdness rather than firstness.  Thus, for a quality like
"red" itself to be taken as a universal it would have to be seen, not as an
attribute, but as a diagram of possibilities mediating between "red things"
and the consequences, whatever might be, of "being red". It's a little
harder for me to envision a diagram of that sort, but I'm guessing Philip
Morris employed some such concept (universal?) in deciding on a red package
for their cigarettes.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your take on this approach.

Thanks,
Tom