Tom, List:

It is no intrusion at all, I welcome your input!

I think that both "red" and "color" are universals, or rather generals as
Peirce typically preferred to call them.  Each names a continuum of
possible instantiations, and the one for red is part of the one for color,
consistent with his definition of a continuum as "that which has parts, all
of which have parts of the same kind."  Both 1ns and 3ns are general, but
in different ways; Peirce called them "negative" and "positive" generality,
respectively.

I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on your suggestion that a
concept is "a diagram of possibilities."  What is the object of such a
diagram?  What are its parts?  What are the significant relations among
them that the diagram embodies?  How does such a diagram mediate between
red things and the consequences of being red, such as primarily reflecting
broad-spectrum light at a wavelength between 620 and 750 nm?

Thanks,

Jon S.