Dear colleagues,

This is an interesting thread. I have been working on these questions for a
while now.
My ideas are inspired by Peirce but not exactly identical to Peirce's.
Tony Jappy once called me a Neo-Peircean, which I found OK. Better than
post or ante Peircean, anyway.

I will restrict my comment to sign qua sign, or the proper representamen.
In my opinion, a truly pragmatic account of signhood must consider not only
how the sign is perceived but also how it ought to be experienced in the
long run. I mean that we must take into account the final interpretant,
which is the sign as it is destined to be interpreted.

Roughly,
A genuine qualisign has firstness both for the representamen and the final
interpretant.
A genuine sinsign has secondness both for the representamen and the final
interpretant.
A genuine legising has thirdness both for the representamen and the final
interpretant.

I think the above is plain.

A replica is a degenerate legisign that has thirdness for the representamen
but secondness for the final interpretant. Replicas are well understood too.

I call holisigns those degenerate legisigns that have thirdness for the
representamen but firstness for the final interpretant.
I call altersings those degenerate sinsigns that have secondness for the
representamen but firstness for the final interpretant.

Holisigns are ephemeral patterns. They are patterns but tend to dissolve in
experience as qualitative effects. A dune might be seen as a holisign as
its shape continuously changes until it vanishes. The melody of jazz music
is another example. If you gaze at the clouds in the sky, holisigns will
appear in a multitude of changing patterns. A wave in itself is a holisign.
General qualities, such as temperature, are holisigns.

Altersigns are gentle signs of otherness. They do not have the lasting
friction and brute forte of sinsigns. They pop up in perception but
dissolve themselves as possibilities. Altersings are instantiations of
holisigns as much as sinsigns are instantiations of legisigns.
What we perceive of a holisign at any moment is an altersign. It is any
alternative configuration of a pattern, if you want. The perceived feeling
of a temperature is an altersign. In fact, it is the embodiment of the
holisign.

Holisings and altersigns are very important to the semeiotic of art.

I believe these distinctions are important for the grounding and
presentation of the representamen. Others will be necessary if we go up
towards representation and communication. Such  considerations that can
help render semeiotic intelligible and useful, at least as I understand it.

All the best,
Vinicius

--
Vinicius Romanini, Ph.D.