Edwina, List,

This is in response to your message to the List today as well as your
addendum to that message. For now I mainly have just a few questions:

You are no doubt aware of Peirce's insistence on a rigorous ethics of
terminology. Are you suggesting that he is incorrect in his insistence
that terminology matters, and can matter significantly -- that is, that it
can constitute a difference which makes a difference? If you disagree
(which you appear to), why?

And are you suggesting that scholars and scientists who may occasionally
focus on terminology -- recently, on the List, John Sowa, Jon Alan Schmidt,
and myself -- are slipping into nominalism? I myself cannot see how a
rigorous insistence on the importance of terminology has *anything* to do
with nominalism. Please explain how it does. And please also include your
definition of nominalism.

And do you disagree that using different terminology can correlate with
having different concepts?

Further, if my memory isn't too diminished, I don't recall anyone on the
List referring to you as a "pseudo-Peircean," something which would indeed
constitute unacceptable 'name calling' on Peirce-L. However, today
*you* suggested
that some on this list are "Purists" which, had that expression been
directed at particular List participants would indeed constitute a mild
*kind* of 'name calling' depending on the context. However, I have no idea
what you mean by alleging that some here are 'purists' -- please explain
what you mean by this.

It seems to be that there are many rooms in the houses of Peircean
semeiotic, of Peircean pragmaticism -- more generally, of semiotic and
pragmatism -- and that they are not mutually exclusive, that a
scholar/scientist can be interested both in theory and practice (and
although Peirce once denied it, he himself accomplished much in both theory
and practice).

So it would be quite helpful if you would clarify your comments today.

And I will add, although he might prefer that I not, that Jon Alan Schmidt,
not infrequently accused by some here as being a sort of Peircean
theoretical 'purist' simply because, as he wrote yesterday, his "own
priority is accurately understanding, helpfully explaining, and fruitfully
building on *Peirce's *views by carefully studying and adhering to *his *
words," is an accomplished and distinguished structural engineer, often
invited to speak at conventions and other gatherings because of his
expertise.

And among the 44 papers of his cited on Google Scholar one will find, along
with the specifically Peircean ones, some papers in which Peircean thought
is applied in various ways, including engineering reasoning and ethics.
 https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=EfQhY7cAAAAJ&hl=en

Best,

Gary