John, Edwina, List:

Like Gary, I would prefer not to engage in another back-and-forth on this
well-worn ground, so I will just offer a few comments and hopefully leave
it at that.

JFS: The position he recommended was the Linnaean conventions for naming
biological species.

Peirce did not so much recommend those conventions *themselves *as the
underlying *motivation *that prompted biologists to embrace them.

CSP: The problem of the biological taxonomists has, however, been
incomparably more difficult; and they have solved it (barring small
exceptions) with brilliant success. How did they accomplish this? Not by
appealing to the power of congresses, but by appealing to the power of the
idea of right and wrong. ... [W]hoever deliberately uses a word or other
symbol in any other sense than that which was conferred upon it by its sole
rightful creator commits a shameful offense against the inventor of the
symbol and against science, and it becomes the duty of the others to treat
the act with contempt and indignation. (CP 2.224, EP 2:265, 1903)

That is why the portion of "A Syllabus of Certain Topics of Logic" where
this passage appears bears the title, "The Ethics of Terminology"--it
advocates *voluntary *cooperation by the practitioners of any particular
branch of science to use scrupulously consistent terminology. In
fact, Peirce acknowledges up-front that it would *violate *his own
principles "to make the smallest pretension to *dictate* the conduct of
others in this matter" (CP 2.219, EP 2:263; emphasis mine). Our
disagreement over "tone" vs. "mark" is a good example--we have each
attempted to *persuade *the other (and those reading along) to adopt one of
these and abandon the other, but since Peirce himself considered both
without definitively choosing one, neither of us can rightly *impose *his
preference on the other (or anyone else).

JFS: And if you look at Peirce's own practice, he replaced 'phenomenology'
with 'phaneroscopy' just a couple of years later. I believe that he was
justified in coining the new term 'phaneroscopy', but there is enough
overlap that he could have continued to use 'phenomenology'.

Indeed, this change in terminology for a subtle distinction in meaning was
perfectly consistent with the principles that Peirce spelled out--"for
philosophical conceptions which vary *by a hair's breadth* from those for
which suitable terms exist, to invent terms with a due regard for the
usages of philosophical terminology and those of the English language, but
yet with a distinctly technical appearance" (CP 2.226, EP 2:266; emphasis
mine). He coined "the phaneron" for whatever is or could be present to any
mind in any way because this is a slightly different conception from "the
phenomenon" as introduced by Hegel and later adopted by Husserl, and he
renamed the corresponding science "phaneroscopy" because it is more about
direct observation than systematic study.

JFS: It is the practice of taking the advice of an expert in a field for
choosing terminology for that field. I recommend that practice.

In the field of Peirce scholarship, the expert whose advice on choosing
terminology should be given the most weight is obviously Peirce himself.
Otherwise, how can we legitimately claim to be expounding *his *ideas and
applying *his *framework? Unfortunately, when the terminology of modern
research fields is used instead, it is not always clear that those
different terms really have the same meanings as *Peirce's *terms.
Consequently, it can be inaccurate or at least misleading to describe the
resulting framework as *Peircean*--the terminological differences reflect
underlying *conceptual *differences. Frankly, that is one of my concerns
about "mark"--perhaps it *seems *congenial to audiences today because they
already have a sense of what it means, but in fact they *do not* have in
mind "Objects which are Signs so far as they are merely possible, but felt
to be positively possible" (CP 8.363, EP 2:488, 1908 Dec 25).

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt