Honestly, I'm not familiar with the Perl way of doing things, but I'm
open to learn especially because I see the Perl community going
through a (much-needed) reform. Thusly, I'm not familiar with the RFCs
(Request For Change?) but I do see the merit for something similar.

However, as far as the judge is concerned, I don't think that it could
work any other way than having a dialog on each RFC (or otherwise). A
general concensus must be reached for each proposal.

A wiki or some form thereof should be set up for everyone to have a
place to submit RFCs and also as a source to find out the decisions on
those RFCs. Indeed, depending on the Wiki used, discussion for the RFC
could be held on there, though I like using the list-serv (as
discussion is its sole purpose).

In summary, we the community will need to both make the proposals and
collectively decide (by matter of majority vote or something to that
effect).

If someone could briefly describe the aspects of an RFC, that would
help clear things up in my mind and give us some kind of standard.

As an aside, I'm coming from the PHP community which has left a very
bad taste in my mouth. The community and the project itself is stale
and not open to change (they're cheering about adding Unicode support
as their big new feature for version 6, which is great, but pathetic
at the same time). However, I'm also partly in the Ruby community, and
I feel quite at home there. I'm hoping to get into Perl again. I've
not used it since version 4!

M.T.

P.S. -- I'm working on a proposal (of sorts) for the beginning of the
architecture.